About Girlvivalist

A Little Bit About Me

Prepper Since Y2K, First-Time Gardener, Life-Long Bargain Hunter, And Debt-Free Aficionado

I wish I could say I’ve got self-sufficiency and homesteading and food preservation skills down-pat. But not only would that be a terrible lie, it would also fail to serve my goal of reaching out to wannabe, newbie, and advanced beginner girlvivalists.

You see, until the Y2K scare, I couldn’t have found a flashlight in a power outage to save my life. If the water supply to our house had been cut off, even for a few days, I would not have known that you can drain your water heater for a surplus 50 gallons. It would never have occurred to me to keep even a small amount of cash on hand in case, by some small chance, ATMs stop spitting out money.

But over the years, I’ve changed. I’ve become a disciple of those who’ve mastered all kinds of domestic and suburban self-reliance skills, right down to and including cooking from scratch! (Who knew that loaves of bread weren’t born that way?) I’m not saying I’VE mastered what my mentors have, only that I am willing to learn and have come a long way since I started on this journey. These days, I still wouldn’t call myself a survivalist, but I happily think I’ve finally become a girlvivalist.

What’s a girlvivalist, you ask? Well, if you’re like me, you’ve probably never met a hardcore survivalist in your life—at least not the kind who are portrayed in the media as being white supremacists and members of militant militias. Still, you’re coming to the slow but sure realization that you just don’t have a level of preparedness necessary to protect yourself and your family in the case of emergency or disaster, whether that hardship comes in the form of a personal difficulty like a lay-off or prolonged illness, a natural disaster like a tornado or hurricane, a terrorist attack that affects an entire region of the country, or even the swine flu.

This site is for you! With even the basics of emergency preparedness in place, you will be far ahead of the rest of the pack and can consider yourself a bona fide Girlvivalist. And as long as you keep your plans and preps organized and updated on a regular-enough basis, you’ll sleep a lot easier at night.

Especially, of course, if you keep a flashlight with fresh batteries in your bedside table.

Add a Comment...
  1. Katy—the site looks great.  Do you mind if I do a bit of promotion for you on my blog?  And do you mind if I forward topic ideas?

Posted by Terri on 05/31 at 12:22 AM
  2. Terri—-I would so appreciate any promotion/readers you would like to direct this way! I’m going to add your blog to my list, also. It contains so much practical and fun frugality info!

Posted by Katy on 06/04 at 06:20 PM
  3. Hi!  I just wanted to say Thank You for linking to my blog under your Websites link.  I appreciate it!  :)

Posted by Sneaux on 05/10 at 09:12 PM
  4. I have recently acquired a singles dating site that is geared towards the survivalist.  I would love to add your link to my site once I get my extras and improvements going.  I want to attract more women (right now the ratio is 2:1).  Any ideas you might have would be great.

Posted by girlprepper on 07/01 at 11:35 AM
  5. Remember, making fire without matches or a lighter is the black belt of every survivalist!

Posted by Emma on 02/16 at 03:28 PM
  6. Can I advertise on your site?  If so, what are your rates?  And would you be willing to review my book, The Last Degree?  (the protagonists are preppers and it’s about the first phase of the End of Days)  Here’s the link:

Posted by Dina Rae on 03/06 at 09:08 PM
  7. At Wins Enterprise (Aust) Pty Ltd, we provide high quality Rodek lights at lowest rates. The Rodek Led saves up to 80% of energy than any luminous lights. Wins is a professional Led Downlight supplier that offer both cheapest led and led on sale products.

rodek,rodek lights,led downlight,ENERGY SAVING LIGHT

Posted by Rodek on 03/17 at 05:59 AM
  8. Energy efficient:

LED lights are energy efficient. This means that they consume lesser amount of power and therefore help a household to curtail its electrical charges. It has been proved that the light emitting diodes consume almost 80 per cent less power than any conventional incandescent lights or halogens. It is possible as because the major part of the energy that a light emitting diode consumes is used to produce light instead of heat.

Posted by Led Downlight on 03/28 at 04:38 AM
  9. Every gal should have read this article on your blog so it is better to be widened not just by bookmarking it but by sharing it in every social medias where I conquer in. I will do as much as possible I can because the ideas here is what all gals should know.

Posted by Kayln Reeves on 04/12 at 11:42 PM
  10. Hello Katy,
    Would you please share the following casting notice with your website followers. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

CASTING:
    DOOMSDAY SURVIVALIST AND PREPPERS, WHO ARE SINGLE AND LOOKING TO DATE

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR, YET YOU ARE STILL SEARCHING FOR SOMEONE TO FALL IN LOVE WITH?

A Major television production company is casting single men and women who share the belief that the world is soon ending for a new major television series. We are in search of people who passionately believe in the world’s inevitable end, but are also single and looking for someone to enjoy the rest of their time on earth with!  Please tell us your story.

Please email us with your story with a current photo of yourself along with a current contact telephone number and email address to Sean De Simone (http://seandesimonecasting.com/) at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Sean De Simone on 04/17 at 12:31 PM
  11. At Wins Enterprise (Aust) Pty Ltd, we provide high quality Rodek lights at lowest rates. The Rodek Led saves up to 80% of energy than any luminous lights. Wins is a professional Led Downlight supplier that offer both cheapest led and led on sale products.

Posted by Rodek on 05/02 at 06:06 AM
  12. Please review our portable emergency preparedness solar and battery systems for off grid and power outage backup systems.  Would you like to become a distributor?  Our products can support refrigeration, cell phone charging, lighting, cooling etc. Nate Edmunds CEO 302-740-6858, and please like us on Facebook.

Posted by Nathan Edmunds on 07/21 at 04:05 AM
  13. We’d love to have you as a call-in guest on the Barefoot Bushcraft Radio Show. E-mail us if you’re interested!

Posted by Barefoot Bushcraft Radio Show on 11/29 at 12:22 PM
  14. Hi,

We’ve put together an article which explores the 8 major threats to the future of America, we examine how likely these scenarios are and how you can be prepared. I wanted to share this with you as I think your audience may find it of interest.

Here’s the link - http://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/prepared-8-major-threats-future-america/

Would you consider including a mention of the article on this page of your website?  http://www.girlvivalist.com/site/websites

Do let me know if you have any questions, and if I have reached you in error, please accept my apologies.

Thanking you in advance for your time and consideration.

Kind regards
    Keith

Posted by Keith Tillman on 06/21 at 08:52 PM
  15. Hi,

If you are still updating this page - http://www.girlvivalist.com/site/websites - I would like to make a suggestion for a new resource to include.

We’ve just published a guide to living off-grid - http://ammo.com/articles/off-grid-living-guide.

It was written by my colleague Jake Beaty who spent 6 years living off-grid in a log cabin in Eastern Washington with his family. Walking miles for water and enduring temperatures as low as -15 Fahrenheit they learned a great deal about what it takes to thrive away from the amenities that many of us take for granted.

I am sure you’ll agree the guide is detailed and I think your readers may find it of interest.

If you’d rather not hear from me again about this piece or indeed other new guides that we publish, just drop me an email and I’ll be sure not to send you anything in future.

-Sam

Posted by Sam Jacobs on 01/28 at 04:15 AM
  16. Page 1 of 1 pages

Name:

Email:

Location:

URL:

Remember my personal information
Notify me of follow-up comments?

Please enter the word you see in the image below:

<< Back to Blog

Girlvivalist on Twitter

The official Girlvivalist.com t-shirt
is available at Cafe Press.
image
On sale through July 16 - $15.00!